What's one activity that most any family can do year-round with very little expense? Fishing.
Here are five reasons fishing is the ultimate family experience:
5. Dads, moms, grandmas, and grandpas can take kids fishing. In today's single parent and broken marriage world, fishing is an inexpensive choice for weekend "daddy and me" or "mommy and me" time, providing moments for bonding, laughter, and maybe some snuggling while you both watch the line. It doesn't have to be as a group - it's a perfect way for one child (or more) to have special time with a parent or grandparent, or extended family members.
4. You can do it from a bank or dock at a small city or county park or you go on a boat on a bigger lake, if that's more to your liking. You don't have to "go big or go home." You can go small, too!
3. You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars and be real fancy about it. I mean, you CAN, but you don't have to. You can use a good ol' bobber, worm and inexpensive rod/reel combo or you can go all out with the latest and greatest in rods/reels, lures, and line. There is something for everyone's budget.
2. Kids will learn patience, skills, and etiquette:
- They call it fishing, not catching, thus patience.
- My husband caught a 35 lb bighead carp with 4lb test line, while fishing for crappie. You don't have to have a telephone pole and 100 lb line to bring them in...just good fishing skills. Start them learning those skills, and patience to use them, at a young age.
- The properly taught etiquette of fishing helps with that whole "personal space" thing that children sometimes have a hard time understanding. Plus, it simply helps teach good manners.
1. Fishing gets a family outside year-round. Family members can be outside fishing in warm summer sunshine or sunny winter days. We need more of that, plain and simple.
June 3-5 are free fishing days in Iowa for Iowa residents. Take advantage of it, drop the excuses, and go enjoy some fishing!