WOW! What a busy, fun weekend we have planned for April 22-23! Check it out!
Plan that next solo, group or family adventure! One day, one weekend, one week or longer - come find out where to go and what to do in Iowa and beyond!
How-tos, drawings, free samples, and the Workender Social Gathering Meetup all give you the resources you need to get out and enjoy camping, hiking, kayaking, canoeing, and more!
First up - Friday night!
Friday, April 22 - 6-8 p.m. - How-tos with giveaways after each!
Presented by Kent Petersen, longtime outdoorsman and kayak fisherman!
6 p.m. - Pack Right for Day Hikes & More - How to load a backpack and get the right fit
7 p.m. - Pick Out and Get Out - a "how-to" on picking out the right kayak.
Free Photo Download April 22, 6-8 p.m. - get your photo taken and have the chance to win a Toyota Rav4 Hybrid or one of 13 Ascend prizes!
Then join us Saturday, April 23, for more Workender how-tos, plus our Workender Meetup from 3-6 p.m.!
Saturday, April 23 Workender How-tos and Meetup!
1 p.m. - Slumber by Number - How to pick out the right sleeping bag, pads, etc.- with Matt Vorhies
2 p.m. - Beat the Bugs - Protect yourself! - with Matt Vorhies
3 p.m. - Rig it Right - how to rig your kayak for fishing - with Kent Peterson, avid kayak fisherman!
4 p.m. - Cooking Down and Dirty - How to use a Jetboil - with Kent Peterson
Workender Meetup! April 23, 3-6 p.m.
YOUR chance to visit informally with outdoors enthusiasts and specialists about where to go and what to do! We have groups with ideas and activities for all levels and abilities, including physically challenged and veterans!
- Iowa Department of Natural Resources - camping, hiking, you name it!
- Polk County Conservation - parks, trails, classes!
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service - trails and refuges here and beyond!
- Iowa's Great Outdoors w/Chance Patrick
- Coldwater Guide Service w/Rod Woten - trout fishing specialist!
- Central Iowa Outdoors Without Boundaries - outdoor experiences for physically challenged!
- Greater Des Moines Volkssport Assoc - Year-round walking and biking!
- English River Outfitters Resort "Designed by Veterans for Veterans" - Just as it says, an outdoor experience JUST for veterans BY veterans!
- Central Iowa Paddlers - Everything you need to know on where to paddle in Iowa, including trails and classes!
- Jasper County Conservation - Camping, hiking, and more in Jasper County!
...and more being scheduled each day!
Drawings at 4, 5, and 6 p.m. - $50 gift card, and North Face backpacks! Plus free samples, while they last, of tasty treats for hiking and sample Mountain House freeze-dried foods!
Free Photo Download April 22, 6-8 p.m. and April 23, 1-6 p.m. - get your photo taken and have the chance to win a Toyota Rav4 Hybrid or one of 13 Ascend prizes!
Also on Saturday, April 23
The PBR is back in town!
The Professional Bull Riders are back in Des Moines and we'll have PBR fun here, too!
Noon-1 p.m.- PBR Riders autograph hour - at the time of this writing we don't know what riders yet, but will update on our Facebook page.
1-1:30 - Fishing Seminar at the tank with PBR announcer, and experienced angler, Clint Adkins.
Plus, from 10 a.m. - 3 p.m :
- Ride the mechanical bull!
- Bull roping for kids
- Stick Bull Riding