by David Brayman
For the freshwater fishermen, there are plenty of shad to be caught in the lower James River up to the fall line with darts and spoons being the primary lure, no specific color. This fishery will continue for another 2 to 3 weeks before it begins to wind down. Along with the shad the Striped Bass have started to get caught with both schoolies and big fish in the mix. A jig head lure with a white body will produce good results, 4, 6, or even 8 inch bodies will work. For the bass fishermen, the fish have begun to work into a pre-spawn/spawn patterns. Top water and plastic lures producing best results. The Small mouth bite is getting better as well with the fish following their larger mouthed cousins. For the crappie live minnows and and jigs are doing well.
The croaker and spot are a little slow going coming to us, but they are being caught. The Speckled Trout and Puppy Drum are beginning to make their way to the flats areas in places like Mobjack Bay. The large Drum are making their presence in the ocean going inlets like Fisherman’s Island inlet. These big fish are being caught up to the 50 inch marker. Softshell crab, or cut bait will produce for these bruisers. Another good fish to pursue is the Tautaug. These fish are bait stealing KINGS, if you aren’t paying full attention. Cut crabs, sand fleas, or fiddler crabs are best bait for these guys.
As Spring comes into play around us, we begin to remember those little things we needed to get done last year. Changing that mono line out, sharpen bait knives, replace last years lost tackle. Getting these things done now, can prevent lost time later.
Our Feature product this month is the Ascend fs128t Angler Kayak. This is one to get excited about, it has GREAT potential to become a big contender in the fishing community. Come by and take a look for yourself!
- Sit-on-top/Stand up design provides the ultimate kayak fishing platform
- Solid casting platform with pull up assist strap for stable switch to stand up fishing
- Removable 360 degree swivel seat with 3 position height adjustment.
- Multiple watertight dry storage hatches with easy access
- Deep molded side storage trays accept all kinds of fishing gear and tackle
- Multipurpose molded dash - catch all trays, cup holder, and recessed tackle tray storage under seat
- Adjustable foot braces
- 4 flush mount rod holders - 2 by seat, 2 forward
- Molded rod tip stagers on bow deck hold top of rod while fishing
- Fully adjustable rod tender - provides vertical adjustment and 360° of horizontal adjustment
- 8 scupper drains - big enough to accept transducer (sold separately)
- Anchor trolley
- Maximum weight capacity: 350 lbs.