I recently visited www.ready.gov to see what they think we should gather up to prepare for whatever type of "disaster". With the weather here in east Tennessee as unpredictable as it gets, I thought I could help you get started on your kit, should you get snowed in or lose power during these upcoming cold months.
Ready.gov lists the following items;
- Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Manual can opener for food
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers, inverter or solar charger
Now, please allow me to show you just how Bass Pro Shops can help you with these items.
1. Water- 3 gallons per person per day. How about the 7 gallon Reliance Aqua Tainer for only $17.99. That's enough water for 2 people for 3 days and it's BPA free!
2. A 3 day per person supply of non-perishable food. Why not try out some of our Mountain House dehydrated food. Prices start at 3.99 and they really are delicious!
3. A hand crank or battery operated flashlight. We have that too! It's a Nebo Wind-Up flashlight for only $14.99.
Of course we have regular battery operated flashlights as well and they start at $4.99 and go up in price from there.
4. If you choose to go the battery powered route, you'll need a supply of batteries. Our XPS Extreme batteries start at $4.99.
5. First aid kit. You really need one of these around the house anyway because any day of the year could find a need for one. Our First aid kits start at $5.99 and go up to $125.00 depending on how big you want.
6. A whistle to signal for help. Our 5 in 1 whistle will absolutely do the trick and for only $8.99.
7. Manual can opener. While I don't carry a normal household manual can opener in the camping Department, I do have something I think some of you will be familiar with and it's only $2.99.
8. Local maps. I don't have local maps per se but I do have area maps and Atlas', with maps starting at $11.95.
9. Cellphone charger. Now, if you find yourself without electricity, a charger isn't going to do you a bit of good! What I have to show you though, is a multi-tool of sorts. You can cook with it, heat by it and also charge your phone. It's the BioLite Camp Stove and is only $129.95. You can burn anything in this stove....doesn't have to be a type of liquid fuel. It can actually burn pinecones! The best part of all??? It has a USB port to charge your electronics!
The BioLite Stove also has a grill attachment so you can even cook meat on it. It retails for $59.95.
While everything on the ready.gov list can't be purchased here at Bass Pro, we sure can get you started! If there is anything else you would like to add to this list, by all means, make it your own and customize it to your needs and desires.
Come on in and allow me to help you with thoughts and ideas of what you would like to put in yours!
As always, thanks for allowing me to share my goodies with you. Hope to see you soon!
Camping Team Lead
Sevierville Bass Pro Shops